Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sugar Cookies!

Making and Baking sugar cookies always seems like a fun, festive activity until you start the process and wonder what kind of mess have I got myself into. As a mother, I wanted to make a memorable activity for the kids. Well I needed more patience that day than I had. First off it takes an hour just to make the dough, then you have to chill for 2 hours, then cutting all the fun shapes out letting the 3 year old help to make memories is about enough to throw the towel in right there. Then once you roll and cut out the shapes and reshape the ones the 3 year old helped you out with, you still have to bake and frost all those cookies. 2 hours laters you have so many cookies to frost you don't know how you are going to get them frosted! Once again trying to be a fun mom you make 4 different colors of icing and have trays of cookies for your kids to frost when they walk in from school. They are excited and right out the door they are all licking there fingers, sprinkles are flying everywhere and just when you tell the 3 year old not to lick the knife you turn your back to clean up some spilt frosting only to turn around and have her sucking on not one but two of the frosting knives! I always have in my head this beautiful picture of what I think my cookies are going to look like, my vision is always far off from our final results. And by the time you are done with the 8 hour ordeal you hope you never see another sugar cookie in your life.

Oh a mother making sugar cookies needs lots and lots of patience, a diet coke and maybe a bowl full of chocolate to make it all worth it. The priceless smiles as they lick and eat the cookies as they frost make it all worth it and make you forget so you can do it all over the next christmas season.




2 comments:

smithsonthemove said...

What a good Mom!!! It is all worth it! :)

Mickel said...

Good for you! Our sugar cookie making this year was store bought dough and frosting. To make it worse, I left it with the babysitter to do with the kids while Shaun and I were in Vegas. Yikes! I do have a really yummy sugar cookie recipe that requires no chilling and no rolling but is just as fun to decorate if you're interested next time. Let me know.